Saturday, August 25, 2012

Coffee-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin

  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This recipe had me at the word "coffee."  My husband and I love coffee and I've used it in desserts before (adding a little espresso powder to brownies or double chocolate cookies is a wonderful thing!) but I've never made a savory dish with it.  And it just so happens that pork tenderloin is probably my favorite type of meat so I was sold.
 
A huge bonus to this dish is that it's very quick-cooking (although if you're pan-searing it, open the windows! Our little apartment can get smoky pretty quickly) and no chopping required which means you can have it prepped, cooked and on the table in less than 30 minutes.  And this was exactly what I needed on a weeknight.
 
One thing I love about pork tenderloin is just how juicy and flavorful it can be.  This rub doesn't add a ton of flavor but adds a great smokiness to the pork.  I really enjoyed this - it was such a simple and tasty meal (I served this with the chickpea & barley side dish as well as a green salad).
 
The original recipe gave directions for grilling the pork but since we don't have a grill, I used my stove-to-oven method which works for me every time.  I provided directions below for grilling as well as stove-to-oven.
 
Coffee-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin
Taken from: Cook Like a Champion
Serves 4-8
  • 1 tablespoon very finely ground coffee beans (preferably French roast)
  • 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 1-pound pork tenderloins, trimmed (I only used 1 pound pork but still used most of the rub)
 IF USING STOVE-TO-OVEN:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400˚ F.  Combine the coffee, brown sugar, chili powder and salt in a small bowl. Divide the mixture evenly between the two pork tenderloins and rub to coat completely.
  2. Heat the olive oil in an ovenproof 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.  Place the tenderloins in the skillet and brown on all sides, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes total.  Remove from the heat, leaving the pork in the skillet.
  3. Place the skillet in the preheated oven and roast about 10 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of each tenderloin registers 130-140˚ F.  Transfer to a serving plate, loosely tent with foil and let stand approximately 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
IF USING GRILL:
  1. Combine the coffee, brown sugar, chili powder and salt in a small bowl. Add the olive oil and mix until combined. Divide the mixture evenly between the two pork tenderloins and rub to coat completely.
  2. Prepare a charcoal grill for indirect cooking (medium-high heat if using gas). Place the tenderloins on the hot side of the grill, cover and cook, flipping once, until grill marks form on each side (about 4 minutes per side). Move to the cooler side of the grill and continue cooking an additional 7-9 minutes, or until the pork has reached an internal temperature between 140º and 145º. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment