Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Raspberry (or Blueberry) Coffee Cake



















Saturday mornings are some of my favorite times.  I love going to the farmers market and then making a nice breakfast for us to enjoy.  This berry coffee cake was a last-minute idea but I had all the ingredients on hand (albeit a few substitutions).  And even better, I made the cake, stuck it in the oven and went off to the farmers market while my husband stayed home and read.  I got home about 5 minutes before the coffee cake was done -- I love that there was hardly any waiting time until I could eat this!

I think this would have been amazing with raspberries but 1) they're expensive when not on sale and 2) I already had frozen blueberries on hand.  So we went with blueberries which was still delicious.  Next time, I think I would mix the blueberries into the batter so they were spread more evenly throughout the cake (I don't think I would recommend this with raspberries because they are much more delicate). 

I also didn't have a 10-inch springform pan so after a quick search on the internet, a bundt pan holds approximately the same amount.  This worked fine for us although it probably caused the crumble topping to sink into the cake (and so it wasn't crumbly in the end).  It was fine because it still infused a delicious buttery lemon taste in each slice. 

This does make a large cake so it fed us breakfast/snack/dessert for days.  But trust me, we weren't complaining!  I especially liked this coffee cake warm (a quick trip to the microwave did the trick). 

Raspberry (or Blueberry) Coffee Cake
Taken from:  Annie's Eats
Serves about 12

For the crumb topping:
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • Zest of ½ lemon
  • 4 tbsp. (2 oz.) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
For the cake:
  • 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 scant cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • ¼ tsp. baking soda
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream (I used 1/2 cup 2% plain yogurt and 1/2 cup light sour cream)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 cups fresh raspberries or blueberries
  1. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Lightly grease and flour and 10-inch springform pan (if you don't have a 10-inch springform, I used a bundt pan instead).  To make the crumb topping, combine the flour, granulated sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl and whisk to blend. Add the melted butter and stir with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
  2. To make the cake, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.  In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla until well blended. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the liquid ingredients.  Fold together gently until evenly mixed and no streaks remain, being careful not to over mix.  Spread the batter into the prepared pan in an even layer.  Dot the top of the batter with the raspberries. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the berries.
  3. Bake until the topping is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 38-42 minutes.  Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes.  Remove the sides of the springform pan.  Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into wedges.

0 comments:

Post a Comment