Yes, we do like buffalo chicken dishes (surprisingly though, we never order buffalo wings at restaurants). From boneless buffalo wings to buffalo chicken calzones to buffalo chicken burgers, I guess it was just a matter of time before I found another variation to try. And with football season just starting, this seemed like the ideal time to add another appetizer to our repetoire.
As you can see by the short ingredient list below, these are very simple to make. And to be honest, I didn't measure out any of the ingredients but just eyeballed the proportions and it still came out really well. It's not only easy to prepare but the baking takes all of 15 minutes so these do not need much work to be devoured ASAP. I halved this recipe and we demolished them in one sitting.
Buffalo Chicken Cups
Taken from: The Sweets Life
Makes 24 (I halved this recipe)
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed (you'll likely have some leftover) or 1 pound of cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast (I cooked mine in the oven a day before)
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup hot sauce plus more if desired
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced (I did not have on hand so I omitted)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray two muffin tins with cooking spray and fit a wonton wrapper in each cup, pressing firmly into the sides to form a "cup" (Be sure to keep the corners open so that there is room for the filling!). Bake for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- While wonton cups are baking, shred chicken. Toss chicken with hot sauce and melted butter. Remove wonton cups from oven and fill each with 1-2 tbsp of the chicken mixture. Sprinkle with blue cheese. Return to oven and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until cheese begins to melt.
- Top with sliced scallions and serve warm.