Monday, April 2, 2012

Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies



















While I like chocolate a lot, I usually don't go for the kinds of desserts that are intensely chocolately -- like chocolate ice cream or chocolate cake AND frosting kinds of dessert. So it was a little surprising to me that when I found a recipe for double chocolate cookies, I really wanted to make it.  I make a small(ish) dessert for us to enjoy each weekend and I ended up using this recipe this past weekend.  And I'm so glad I did!

One thing I added to the recipe was instant coffee powder.  I had success adding it to brownies earlier which helped increase the intensity (the chocolately-ness?) of the chocolate.  I added enough coffee powder that you could also just get a hint of coffee which we loved. 

I also added walnut pieces to about half the batter and my husband really liked that.  I enjoyed the cookies without walnuts a little better although I liked the texture and crunch of the nuts.  I'd also recommend slightly underbaking the cookies (I baked mine for 11 minutes and let them cool on the cookie sheet for a few more minutes) to keep them soft in the middle.

Overall, these came out soft with gooey pockets of melted chocolate chips and were just wonderful for an after-dinner dessert.  In our opinion, these are best warmed (a quick trip to the microwave helped with that) and, of course, served with a cup of coffee.


Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Taken from: Martha Stewart
Makes 2-3 dozen (I halved this recipe and got 14 cookies)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder (after some research, I used Hershey's cocoa powder instead which worked fine)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces good-quality milk or semi-sweet chocolate, 4 ounces (approx. 2/3 cup) coarsely chopped, 4 ounces (approx. 2/3 cup) cut into 1/4-inch chunks or chocolate chips (I used mostly semi-sweet chocolate chips with a little dark chocolate)
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons espresso or instant coffee powder (optional but highly recommended)
  • 1/2 cup of walnut pieces (optional; I put nuts in about half the batter and left the other half plain)
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Melt coarsely chopped chocolate with the butter in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
  2. Transfer chocolate mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add espresso, sugar, eggs, and vanilla; mix on medium speed until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chunks and walnuts, if using.
  3. Scoop batter using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop; place 2 inches apart on parchment- or silicone mat-lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies are flat and surfaces begin to crack, about 10-15 minutes (do not overbake; I would recommend checking at 10 minutes). Let sit on cookie sheet for about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to wire racks. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

1 comment:

  1. Natalie and I made these and they were AMAZING! I couldn't stop eating them!

    ReplyDelete