Ever since we had these buffalo chicken tenders (or these buffalo chicken calzones), I realized that I liked buffalo wings. A lot. I've never been a huge fan of wings in restaurants but then again, I don't love dark meat chicken. But when you can control the type of chicken and how much buffalo wing sauce you add (not to mention it's a cinch to make your own), it becomes a different story.
These burgers were no exception. They were easy to throw together and I already had great homemade hamburger buns (which I promise will be the next recipe I share!). Topped with a little cheddar cheese or blue cheese, they made such a fun meal. You could really taste the wing sauce but the flavor wasn't overwhelming. I preferred the cheddar cheese but my husband preferred the blue cheese. And when we dipped it in a little blue cheese dressing, well, that just made it even better.
I served these burgers with a side of roasted chickpeas and steamed green beans.
Buffalo Chicken Burgers
Taken from: How Sweet It Is
Makes 4-6 burgers
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon italian seasoning (I used 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley instead)
- 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce (to make your own wing sauce, combine 2 Tbsp of melted butter and 2 Tbsp of hot sauce [I have heard Tabasco is too hot for wing sauce but Pete's and other brands work very well])
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (I used about 1/4 cup)
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese or blue cheese
- 4-6 whole wheat buns
- Blue cheese dressing: I mixed 3 tablespoons of nonfat plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons of crumbled blue cheese, a splash of white or red wine vinegar, a shake of garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl, mashing everything together until thoroughly combined
- Preheat grill or skillet.
- In a large bowl combine ground chicken, salt, pepper, italian seasoning, parmesan and buffalo wing sauce. Mix until just combined. Form into patties (you can refrigerate the patties until ready to use).
- Grill or pan-fry patties until brown on both sides and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes; since it is chicken, it should be cooked to 165 degrees.
- In the last 3 minutes, place 1/2 ounce of cheddar cheese or blue cheese on each burger.
- Place cooked burgers on whole wheat buns and top with a drizzle of blue cheese dressing or serve dressing and celery on the side.