Friday, September 16, 2011

Soft Yogurt Sandwich Rolls

















Right before I started my new job, I realized I had only a few more chances to make bread during the weekday.  So on a whim, I decided to search for a roll recipe for dinner that night.  I stumbled on these rolls and they were full of ingredients we both like and already had on hand.   They looked like they would make delicious dinner rolls and sure enough, they did.  Wow, they were good.  We ate them plain, smeared with butter, or covered in raw honey for dessert.  We also toasted them in the morning and added almond butter on top for breakfast.

However, I realized that not only did they make great dinner and breakfast rolls, but they would be perfect for hamburgers.  They were light but still had enough substance to hold a burger.  I threw the last 6 rolls into the freezer and waited to use them with our buffalo chicken burgers.

As predicted, they were some of my favorite hamburger rolls yet!  Since I had made such small rolls (I made 18), they came together perfectly as rolls for sliders.  If you plan to make them for regular-sized hamburgers or sandwiches, I'd suggest making about 10-12.  If you want them as dinner rolls or sliders, go for 18-20.  Either way, you won't be disappointed!

Soft Yogurt Sandwich Rolls
Taken from: A Hint of Honey
Makes 10-20 rolls
  • 3 1/2-4 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
  • 3 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 cup warm water (110-112 F)
  • 1 cup plain yogurt (low fat is fine, so is Greek)
  • 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt

  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, the active dry yeast, the honey and the warm water. Stir well and let sit for 10 minutes, until slightly foamy. Stir in yogurt, oil, salt and 2 cups of the remaining flour. Gradually stir in more flour until you have a soft dough that sticks together pulls away from the sides of the bowl (This can all be done in a stand mixer with the dough-hook attached as well).
  2. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead, adding additional flour if necessary to prevent sticking, until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size. (I preheat my oven to 170 and then turn it off.  After a few minutes, I put the bowl in the warm oven.)
  3. Turn risen dough out of bowl and onto a lightly floured surface. Gently deflate, pressing into a rectangle. Divide dough into 10-20 even pieces. Shape each piece into a round roll. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or coated with cooking spray. Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise for 25 minutes.
  4. Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake for about 20 minutes (depending on size), until rolls are golden on the top and the bottom. Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container or in the freezer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment