Thursday, January 6, 2011

Roasted Chickpeas

I needed something to round out our chicken gyro meal tonight -- even though we had tzatziki (mmmm, my favorite), Trader Joe's Mediterranean hummus and all the classic gyro fixins', it still seemed like we needed a bit more.  Since I haven't done any real grocery shopping in 2 weeks (a new record for me, although I made Bryant make an emergency trip for 6 much-needed ingredients), it drastically narrowed the options available to me for a good Greek side dish. Enter: roasted chickpeas.

These roasted chickpeas are really more of a snack than a side dish but they are surprisingly addictive, cheap and healthy. I also like that this recipe consists of 5 common pantry ingredients.  Bryant can't seem to stop eating them when I make them.

Roasted Chickpeas
Taken from: Cheap, Healthy, Good
Serves 2-4
  • 1 14.5 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • ¼ teaspoon salt 
  • 5 dashes cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cumin 
-Preheat oven to 425°F.
-Place chickpeas on baking/cookie sheet. Roast for 10 minutes. Shake the pan. Roast another 10 minutes.
-In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas, oil, salt, and spices. Stir well to combine.
-Spread chickpeas back out on baking sheet. Roast between 5 and 15 more minutes, until they're browned and super crunchy. Serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment