This is a great summer salad. It's very light from the flavors of summer squash, lemon and feta and it's wonderfully cool (which is appropriate when the temperatures are in the triple digits). Also, I love prosciutto. And even more than just prosciutto, I love prosciutto when it's been crisped in a pan or under a broiler (prosciutto crisps are also great on pizza, by the way!). So the combination of the crispy prosciutto, salty feta and cool squash makes one delicious salad.
Although there aren't many steps, I made almost all of this ahead of time - I shaved the squash and whisked the lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl (next time, I think I'll add garlic to the dressing... but are you really surprised?). All that was left to do before dinner was to throw the dressing over the squash, sautee the prosciutto in a pan and then combine everything together. Served with some pork tenderloin and peach salsa and well as couscous, it was a great summer meal.
Shaved Squash Salad with Prosciutto Crisps
Taken from: The Sweets Life
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced fresh mint (I didn't have on hand so I omitted)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 thin slices prosciutto (1 oz.), chopped
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) crumbled feta cheese
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the zucchini and squash into thin strips (discard the seeds). Place the ribbons in a medium sized bowl and toss with salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the mint, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and ground black pepper. Whisk and then pour over the vegetables. Toss to coat.
- In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, saute prosciutto for 2 minutes, or until crisp.
- Divide salad amongst 4 plates and top each with prosciutto and feta cheese.