This was a simple and delicious side dish. If you've read this blog for long, you'll probably know that my husband and I like vegetables in many forms but we think that roasting vegetables is always a good way to go. However, I had never roasted carrots alone before (I had always roasted them with other vegetables). Roasting brings out their natural sweetness which is matched nicely in this recipe with earthy thyme and creamy goat cheese.
Also, I love that this is an easy side dish to make! Just cut up some sticks of carrots, toss them with some olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme and throw them in a hot oven. You stir them once in the oven, sprinkle some goat cheese on top and that's pretty much all the work you need to do. A simple, unfussy side dish. I served them with chickpea sweet potato cakes and sauteed orzo (the orzo is a favorite of ours!) .
Roasted Carrots with Thyme & Goat Cheese
Taken from: Confections of a Foodie Bride
Serves 4-6 (easily halved)
- 2lbs whole carrots
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme (I used dried thyme instead)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4-1/3 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Peel the carrots and cut diagonally into thirds. If the carrots are large, half or quarter the pieces (aiming for uniform so the pieces will cook evenly).
- Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and the leaves stripped from the thyme sprigs (I sprinkled the carrots with dried thyme instead - maybe 1/4 - 1/2 tsp).
- Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Crumble goat cheese over the warm carrots and serve.