This sesame broccoli made for both a quick and delicious side dish. I found this recipe and decided at the last minute to serve it with some homemade pad thai. Although the pad thai was good, this sesame broccoli ended up being the surprise hit. I often serve broccoli just steamed or roasted but this added a lot of flavor without much extra work. I also had all the ingredients on hand for the recipe which is always a bonus in my book!
The original recipe was a tad too sweet for our tastes so I would start by adding 2 teaspoons of sugar and then adding an extra teaspoon if you want it a little sweeter. I will definitely plan on serving this as a side dish for any kind of Asian meal.
Taken from: For the Love of Cooking
- 2 cups of fresh broccoli florets
- 2-3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Place the broccoli florets into a steamer ; place the steamer into a saucepan filled with 1 inch of water. Steam the broccoli for 5 minutes, or until crisp tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar, olive oil, soy sauce, and rice vinegar together in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook while whisking until the sugar has dissolved.
- Place the steamed broccoli into the saucepan and gently stir until the broccoli is evenly coated. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top. Serve immediately with more sauce drizzled on top of each serving.