Monday, September 29, 2014

Slow Cooker Chicken & Vegetable Indian Stew




This was originally supposed to an Indian dish called butter chicken.  But after changing the recipe (including that I completely forgot to add the butter!) and throwing in every vegetable I had on hand, I thought it was unfair to call it butter chicken.  But we still enjoyed my un-authentic version so much that we renamed it Indian stew (which seems like a much better title for my version)!

I love my slow cooker and try to use it once a week.  When I was starting to make the original recipe, I was planning to make vegetables on the side.  However, then I realized it would be great if the vegetables could cook with the chicken, both to soak up the flavor as well as to save me time and fewer dishes (okay, mainly to save me time and fewer dishes).  I used carrots, sweet potatoes, zucchini, red bell pepper and green peas to the dish.  Feel free to omit any of these or use extra vegetables you have on hand.

Slow Cooker Chicken & Vegetable Stew
Adapted from: Half Baked Harvest
Serves 4-6

  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 1/2 onion, finely minced
  • 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
  • 1 sweet potato, cut into 1/2" cubes (you can peel if you'd like)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
  • 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 2 tablespoons garam masala
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (this was not too spicy for us; you can use more if you like more spice or leave it out altogether) 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup greek yogurt 
  • 1-2 zucchini, chopped into 1/2" cubes
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped into 1/2" cubes 
  • 1 cup frozen green peas
  • cooked rice or quinoa or naan, for serving

  1. In a large glass measuring cup or bowl mix together the coconut milk and greek yogurt. Stir in the tomato paste, garlic, ginger and all the spices. Mix well.
  2. Spray the inside of your crockpot bowl with cooking spray or grease with a little oil. To the bowl, sprinkle the onion, carrots and sweet potatoes over the bottom. Add the chicken and then pour the coconut milk mixture over the chicken so the chicken is completely covered. 
  3. Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours. After 3 hours (or 6 for low), stir in the zucchini, bell pepper. Continue to cook for 1 more hour on high or 2 more hours on low. (At this point, I also like to start cooking my rice or quinoa in the rice cooker.)  Before serving, stir in the green peas.When ready to serve taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve over rice/quinoa/naan.


0 comments:

Post a Comment