This is my new favorite smoothie. I make almond milk weekly and whenever I finish with it, I always feel like I need to make a smoothie afterwards -- since I've already used the blender, I feel like I might as well get a little more use out of it before I clean it! I personally don't like them for breakfast (I like to chew my breakfasts) but I think they make a perfect afternoon snack (and my toddler agrees). I don't often measure all my ingredients but below is a basic recipe of what I use.
A few weeks ago, I decided to throw together some frozen cherries, baby spinach, cocoa powder, almond milk, and a little honey together. The three of us LOVED this one and it quickly became the family favorite. While I won't make any claims that it tastes exactly like a milkshake (nothing but a milkshake tastes like a milkshake), it's definitely thick, rich and chocolately. And delicious.
Recipe by From Anne's Kitchen
Serves about 2
- 1 cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 1 1/4 cup frozen cherries (no pits!)
- 3-4 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal (optional)
- 2-3 handfuls baby spinach
- 1-4 Tbsp. honey
- water or more milk
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients and blend completely. Add a little more milk or water if needed to blend thoroughly. Taste and add more cocoa powder and/or honey if needed.