This chicken really has nothing to do with Australia. Apparently, it was (is?) served at the Outback Steakhouse and that's how it got the name. I can't vouch for its authenticity (at Outback or in Australia) but it is delicious. I mean, it has cheddar, bacon, mushrooms and onions and you can top it with honey-mustard sauce -- what more could you need?
Both times that I've made it, we've had it for dinner after our toddler went down so it really made for a great date night at home. There is a honey-mustard sauce to top it with but since I don't like honey-mustard, I leave it off and it is still very, very flavorful. Since this dish includes both cheese and bacon, I did try to round this out with this quinoa-kale dish, beets, and a salad. It's all about balance.
Aussie Chicken (Chicken with Cheddar, Bacon & Mushrooms)
Adapted from: The Frugal Girl
- 1 pound of skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – pounded to 1/2 inch thickness (I just sliced mine in half to make cutlets)
- 3 slices bacon, cut in half if needed to fit in the pan
- 1/2 - 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- cheddar cheese, thinly sliced (one for each chicken breast)
- 4 tsp. honey
- 2 tsp. mustard (I used dijon)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place bacon in a large, deep oven-proof skillet (cast-iron works well). Cook over medium high heat until crisp. Set bacon aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Turn heat down to medium and saute the mushrooms and onions in the same skillet until tender; set aside.
- Place the breasts in the same skillet and saute for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until browned. Layer each breast with mushrooms, onions, and crumbled bacon. Top with a slice of cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken juices run clear (if you use thin cutlets, they’ll already be cooked through, so you just need to bake them for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted).
- While chicken is baking, combine the honey and mustard in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Serve chicken with the honey mustard sauce (if desired).