Monday, April 14, 2014

My Favorite Whole Wheat Pancake Mix (Large Batch)



This isn't actually a new recipe.  This was originally taken from my post on Pancakes for One (or Two).  We love this recipe so much, it's pretty much the only pancake recipe I use.  And after making this almost weekly for months, I finally realized that you could make a large batch of the dry ingredients.  And then in the morning, you can just portion out however much you need, add some milk (and any add-ins you'd like) and you have pancakes that are all ready to cook! It makes breakfasts go that much more smoothly (which is especially nice when you have a starving toddler grabbing your leg).

Also, I've made some adjustments since the original recipe.  I cut way down on the sugar -- since we usually top ours with something sweet, it doesn't need much in the batter.  I also omitted the oil from the batter and increased the oats slightly.

This recipe below is how much can fit in my storage container, but feel free to double (or triple) the recipe if you have a larger container than I do!

Whole Wheat Pancake Mix
Taken from: Pancakes for One, originally from Joy the Baker
Serves 8-12
  • 4 cups white whole wheat flour (or your flour of choice)
  • 1 1/3 cups oats
  • 2 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1 Tbsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • buttermilk (or milk of your choice; I prefer to use leftover whey from making yogurt)
  • butter for cooking (I use 1/2 Tbsp for cooking each batch)
  • Optional add-ins: vanilla, chocolate chips, pecans, banana, pumpkin puree, etc
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well combined.  Store in an airtight container.
  2. When ready to cook, scoop out 1/3 - 1/2 cup of the mixture per person (I have found that I like 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the dry mixture per person).  Add 3 Tbsp. buttermilk per person to the mixture and any add-ins you'd like.  Add a little more milk or dry mixture to get your desired consistency. 
  3. On medium-low to medium heat, heat a frying pan with 1/2 tablespoon of butter (a nice coat of butter or oil is the only way to make the pancakes nice and crispy on the outside).  Pour in the pancake batter to make whatever pancake shapes you'd like.  Cook until bubbles form and pop on the surface of the pancake (this is usually about 3-4 minutes for me). Flip pancakes over and cook until other other side is nicely browned (this is usually about 3 minutes for me).

0 comments:

Post a Comment