Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pancakes for One (or Two)



Now that I stay at home, lunches look a little different for me.  When I worked in an office, I always brought lunch (usually leftovers).  However, now that I'm home and if leftovers are nowhere to be found, I have a couple other things I can make.  Eggs are always a good choice and we almost always have some on hand.  However, I'm always up for other breakfast foods at any time of the day.

So I recently found myself having nothing readily available for lunch.  It was a perfect excuse to make some pancakes.  Even better, I had found this recipe for a single serving of pancakes.

This recipe worked out even better than I had imagined!   It made for a nice and tall pancake, soft on the inside and crispy on the outside (if you like crispy on the outside, make sure to use enough oil in the pan).

If you double the recipe (and don't want to share), you can always refrigerate the leftovers and then pop them in the toaster to reheat.

PS - If you happen to be snowed in today, these made for a great breakfast!

Pancakes for One 
(You can double the recipe to serve two or if you want some leftovers)
Taken from: Joy the Baker
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (I used white whole wheat)
  • 1 tablespoon rolled oats (quick cooking or regular)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 Tablespoon canola oil (plus extra for the pan)
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons milk (buttermilk is best,but you could also try regular or other kinds of milk)
  • dash of vanilla extract
  • Add-ins (optional): small handful semi sweet chocolate chips, toasted pecans, etc (I did not add anything)
  • Toppings (optional): peanut butter, maple syrup, cinnamon-sugar, banana (except I hate banana)

  1. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add the oil, vanilla extract and buttermilk, and stir to combine.  (The mixture will be thick.)  If using, fold in the chocolate chips and/or other add-ins. 
  2. Heat a frying pan with a teaspoon of oil (I actually used a tablespoon to make the pancakes nice and crispy on the outside).  Pour in the pancake batter and spread some with the back of a spoon.  Cook over medium heat until bubbles form and pop on the surface of the pancake.
  3. Flip.  Cook until golden brown.  Serve with whatever toppings you like. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment