Sunday, May 13, 2012

Green Smoothies

I didn't use quite as much spinach in this smoothie so it didn't come
out very green




















I might be one of the last people to jump on the green smoothie bandwagon but I've finally jumped.  The actual spinach part of the smoothie didn't deter me -- it was more of the idea of drinking meals didn't really appeal to me.  I prefer to chew my meals, thankyouverymuch. However, these smoothies are great after a workout, for breakfast (with a side of toast or something to chew on) or any time on a hot day. They're sweet and delicious but are still really good for you.

These are also very versatile -- I hate banana so that never ends up in our smoothies.  We've made these with tons of different kinds of fruit or just single fruit smoothies (mango was a great choice). Also, if a green colored smoothie doesn't appeal to you (or picky eaters in your family), cut the spinach in half.  You won't taste or see the spinach but you'll still get the nutrients from it!  

These seem especially appropriate with summer fast approaching!

Green Smoothies
 Serves 2-3
  • 1 cup frozen fruit (I most often use frozen mixed berries and/or frozen mango)
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh fruit (feel free to try all kinds - pineapple, strawberries, blueberries and/or oranges would work really well here depending on the season.  Also, you could just add in more frozen fruit if you don't have any fresh on hand)
  • 1/2 cup yogurt (we use 2% plain Greek yogurt)
  • 1/2 cup liquid (we most often use orange juice or milk or even a little water to help thin the smoothies)
  • 2 cups baby spinach leaves, rinsed (decrease this to 1 cup if you don't want your smoothies to look green)
  • Ice (I don't use ice at first if I am using frozen fruit)
Optional add-ins:
  • 1-2 tbsp. honey
  • 2-4 tbsp. ground flaxseed
  • 1-2 tbsp. chia seeds
  1. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until completely smooth.  
  2. Taste and adjust according to your liking (i.e. add additional honey for sweetness, additional liquid and/or ice for consistency. I typically need to add more liquid.).  Serve immediately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment