Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Caprese Skewers

I snapped this photo before drizzling on the balsamic vinegar



















These caprese skewers seem a lot fancier (to me anyway) than they really are.  They're incredibly easy to make and I love the classic flavors of mozzarella, tomato and basil.  They're especially good in the peak of summer with incredibly ripe tomatoes and basil (although Trader Joe's has some great prices on basil) so I would definitely recommend them for your summer party menu!

Also, one of my favorite things about these caprese skewers is that they can be assembled hours beforehand to make any party really easy. I actually assembled the skewers the night before and then refrigerated them until the party.  Right before the party, I just brought them out of the fridge and drizzled them with balsamic vinegar.  It doesn't get much easier than that!

Caprese Skewers
Taken from: Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Makes about 3 dozen
  • 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
  • 1 bunch basil leaves (about 18-30 leaves, I cut the big ones in quarters)
  • 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (I used bocconcini which are bite-sized mozzarella balls which I halved as well.  I did not use all 8 ounces.)
  • Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
  • 3 dozen toothpicks/skewers
  1. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half so you end up with two half-basketball pieces.
  2. Slice the mozzarella into bite-sized chunks.
  3. Slide a piece of mozzarella onto the toothpick. Fold a basil leaf in half if needed and nestle it up next to the mozzarella. Slide a tomato onto the bottom of the skewer, cut side down. Move the mozzarella and basil down to meet the tomato if needed. You want the flat side of the tomato to be right at the end of the toothpick so it stands up straight.
  4. Place all the finished skewers on a plate, platter or tray. (I completed all of these steps and then put saran wrap over the skewers and refrigerated overnight.)
  5. Drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment