Friday, April 27, 2012

Super Charge Me Cookies



















While I never really considered myself much of a baker, I've been using the weekends more and more for baking.  There's just so much I would prefer to make myself and I love knowing exactly what goes into our food.  Also, I like to bake things that I can throw in our lunches to enjoy all week long. 

These "super charge" cookies have been on my list for a while but for one reason or another got pushed to the back burner.  I finally made them this weekend but warned my husband that these are healthier cookies before he tested one.  After he tested one, then had one after dinner and then packed two in his lunch the next morning, it certainly seemed like the healthy part didn't deter him! 

There is still quite a bit of sugar in these cookies but they do get a health boost from some nut butter, oats, spelt flour, a hefty dose of flax meal and less oil.  I'd imagine they would be good with nuts so I'll probably try adding walnuts next time.

We really liked these and as you can tell, they're going quickly in our house!  I have a feeling I'll be making them again this weekend.

Super Charge Cookies
Taken from: Dreena's Vegan Recipes
Makes about 12 (I got 14)
  • 1 cup rolled oats or quick oats
  • 2/3 cup spelt flour
  • 1/4 tsp (rounded) sea salt
  • 1/4 – 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/4 –1/3 cup raisins or chopped dried fruit (I used dried cranberries)
  • 3–4 tbsp carob or chocolate chips (optional; or use more dried fruit, nuts, or seeds)
  • 1/4 cup nuts (optional; I will try walnuts next time)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup flax meal (could use ground flax seed)
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (I was low on real maple syrup so I used 1/4 cup dark brown sugar and 1/4 cup Grade B maple syrup)
  • 3 tbsp almond butter (may use cashew, peanut, hemp seed butter)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp oil or melted butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In a bowl, combine oats, flour, salt, cinnamon, coconut, raisins, and carob or chocolate chips, sift in baking powder, and stir until well combined.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine flax meal, syrup, almond butter, and vanilla and stir until well combined. Stir in oil.
  3. Add wet mixture to dry, and stir until just well combined (do not overmix).
  4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Spoon batter onto baking sheet evenly space apart, and lightly flatten.
  5. Bake for 10-13 minutes (no longer, or they will dry out). I started check at 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to a cooling rack.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment