Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Arugula Salad with Parmesan


















I happened to have a lot of arugula (leftover after making this pizza) and needed to use it up.  I searched for an arugula salad and this one fit the bill.  However, while we really like arugula, the flavor is a bit more sharp and peppery so I also added some mixed greens to help tone down the salad a little.  That ended up being perfect for us and we really enjoyed the salad! In fact, we're having it again tomorrow. 

The freshness of the arugula and lemon just say spring to me and it only takes a few minutes to put it all together.  I loved how simple and delicious the dressing is.  I don't add the dressing until the very end and I only add it to the salad that I'm going to be eating right away.  Dressing ends up wilting salad leaves so everything keeps much better when stored separately.

Make sure to use good parmesan if you can.  I think that makes a big difference!

Arugula Salad with Parmesan
Taken from: Ina Garten
Makes 4-6 servings (I halved this recipe)
  • 1/2 pound fresh arugula (3 large bunches)
  • Other lettuces, if desired (optional)
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (approx. 2 lemons)
  • 1/2 cup good olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4-pound chunk very good Parmesan
  • Optional: cherry tomatoes, pine nuts or sliced almonds (I didn't think of adding either until after we ate)
  1. If the arugula has roots attached, cut them off. Fill the sink with cold water and toss the arugula for a few minutes to clean. Spin-dry the leaves and place them in a large bowl.
  2. In a small bowl (or jar), whisk (or shake) together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper for the dressing.
  3. With a very sharp knife, vegetable peeler or large hole grater, shave/grate the Parmesan into large shards.
  4. Place arugula (and other lettuces, if using) in one large bowl or in individual bowls.  Top each salad with parmesan (and cherry tomatoes and/or nuts, if using).  When ready to eat, add dressing to your liking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment