Sunday, November 23, 2014

Slow Cooker Stuffing



Yikes, long time, no post.  It's not that I'm totally out of ideas...it probably has a little more to do with the fact that I'm too lazy to take pictures of our food.  But despite my long hiatus from blogging, I'm actually on time/early with a Thanksgiving post!

I love pretty much all the food at Thanksgiving and this year, it'll be all the favorites on our table - turkey breast, mashed potatoes (I'm trying roasted garlic ones this year), a roasted vegetable (probably Brussels sprouts), cranberry relish and pecan pie bars.  And, of course, stuffing, which is probably at the top of my favorite T-day foods list. 

My mom always has a classic celery and mushroom stuffing at Thanksgiving and this is exactly what that is.  But it's made in the slow cooker which is definitely a bonus!  It's easy to do and it doesn't require precious oven or stovetop space.  I made this last year for myself and my husband and we loved it so much that it'll definitely be mainstay each year for us.  This year, I made it for my husband's Thanksgiving potluck at work last week.  So I've already eaten a fair share of stuffing but I have to admit, I'm still looking forward to having it on Thursday. 

This recipe does require a bit of tweaking to adjust to your needs.  The amount of liquid needed depends on the dryness of your bread, so you'll have to taste and adjust as it cooks.  I recommend starting with 2 cups of chicken broth and adding extra only if your stuffing is dry.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Slow Cooker Celery & Mushroom Stuffing
Taken from: AllRecipes
Serves 12



  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 2 cups chopped celery
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional; I omitted)
  • 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
  • 12 cups dry bread cubes (you can use fresh instead -- just use a little less chicken broth)
  • 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 cups chicken broth, plus more if needed
  • 2 eggs, beaten


  1. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, mushroom, and parsley in butter, stirring frequently.
  2. In the slow cooker, add bread cubes.  Spoon cooked vegetables over bread cubes. Season with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper, and stir gently to combine. 
  3. In a medium bowl or measuring cup, combine 2 cups broth and 2 beaten eggs.  Pour the broth mixture over the bread cube mixture and stir gently to moisten. 
  4. Cook on low for 3 hours.  At this point, check your stuffing (you can also check before this point, too) to see if you need to add more chicken broth (if you do, add 1/2 cup at a time).  Continue cooking for an additional 1-2 hours, checking again if necessary.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment