Thursday, October 16, 2014

Grilled Garlic Flatbread




I know, I know, it's not really grilling season.   The cooler weather has hit most areas so I'm sure other people are wearing sweaters and starting to use their heat.  For the most part, we're still in shorts and have our A/C going.  This is our first year with a grill so I have a feeling we'll be able to use it all year long.

I love our homemade pita but since I can't leave well enough alone, I'm always on the lookout for new recipes to try.  This flatbread caught my eye and when I planned for a Mediterranean dinner one night, I decided to try this bread instead of my usual pita.  It might be even better than the pita! I loved it super soft (grilled for a little less time) and my husband preferred it on the crispier side (grilled a little longer).  I actually did the grilling myself (for the first time!) so you know it's easy.  My toddler ran around outside while I grilled the bread.  Come to think of it, maybe this weather isn't so bad after all!

Grilled Garlic Flatbread
Taken from: Annie's Eats
Makes 8 flatbreads
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • 1¼ tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • 2 tsp. instant (rapid rise) yeast
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • ¾ cup (6 oz.) water, at room temperature (plus more, if needed)
  • 2 cups (8½ oz.) white whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup (5 7/8 oz.) bread flour or all purpose flour (I will probably do 1/2 cup bread flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour next time to try to add more whole wheat)
  • 1 tbsp. nonfat dry milk (I omitted and substituted 1 extra Tbsp. olive oil instead
  • ½ tsp. garlic powder
  • cornmeal, for dusting

  1. To make the dough, combine the garlic, salt, sugar, yeast, olive oil, and water in a large mixing bowl (or the bowl of an electric mixer.)  Stir with a fork to blend well.  Stir in the flour, semolina, dry milk and garlic powder. Knead (with the dough hook, if using a mixer), until a soft, supple dough forms.  If needed, add 1 Tbsp of water at a time if the dough does not come together (I had to add about 4 Tbsp water).
  2. Form the dough into a ball, transfer to a lightly oiled medium bowl.  Cover with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let rise until it starts to puff up, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
  3. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface.  Divide into 8 equal portions.  Roll each dough piece out into 7- to 8-inch rounds.  Cover 4 large squares of aluminum foil with cornmeal then lay out 2 shaped rounds on each square.    Let stand at least 30 minutes to puff up slightly.
  4. Meanwhile, heat a grill to medium-high. When the dough is ready, place one square of foil (with 2 rounds) on the grill - if you can get 2 squares in a single layer, you can do that.  Let grill until golden brown and bubbled on both sides, flipping once during cooking (I did 3 minutes on the first side and then 1-3 minutes on the second side -- 1 min for softer bread and 3 min for crispier flatbread).  Repeat with the remaining dough rounds.  Slice the finished flatbreads into small wedges and serve as desired with dips, etc.


0 comments:

Post a Comment