Thursday, July 17, 2014

Snickerdoodles



I actually have two cookie recipes to post - this snickerdoodle recipe and an oatmeal chocolate chip one.  I fully expected the oatmeal chocolate chip to be the favorite and while it was delicious, I have to say that the snickerdoodle one was even better.

I baked these snickerdoodles to take to an event so my husband and I only split one (for testing purposes, obviously) but we loved it! They were super soft and just a little crispy on the edges.  Cinnamon and sugar is just a warm, classic flavor (and one of our favorites).  I also loved how large they were.  Even though I gave away all of the cookies (I made a double batch), I did keep back a little bit of the unbaked batter for ourselves and froze it for future cookies for us to eat.  That might have to happen soon!


Classic Snickerdoodles
Taken from: How Sweet Eats
Makes 16-20 cookies (I got 18 large cookies)
  • 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons milk (if needed)
  • 3 tablespoons sugar + 1 tablespoon cinnamon for dipping
  • raw sugar for sprinkling (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well until combine, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix until dough comes together. Add in milk. If dough is still crumbly, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  3. In a bowl combine remaining sugar and cinnamon. Remove dough from fridge and roll into big 1 1/2 inch balls. Dip in cinnamon sugar mixture and place on baking sheet. Lightly press down on dough to flatten it and sprinkle with raw sugar (if using). 
  4. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 2 minutes then remove to rack to cool completely (or eat).

1 comment:

  1. Really good, very good texture, just didn't flatten out, probably because of altitude.

    ReplyDelete