This black bean and corn salad is a recipe that I posted almost 4 years ago (!!) back when my blog was Cooking our Way through California. A friend of mine recently served something similar at a barbeque, which reminded me how much I like this recipe. She served hers with tortilla chips which is a great idea (although when are tortilla chips NOT a great idea?). My family (toddler included) was very happy eating this by itself, with tortilla chips, and I bet on top of salads, too.
I brought this to a 4th of July party which seemed very well received. I recommend it as an appetizer, a side dish, or even all on its own for a lighter lunch!
Black Bean & Corn Salad
Taken from: My original post back in 2010 (sans picture)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. cumin, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups black beans (equivalent to 1 15-oz. can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup raw corn kernels
- 1 large tomato, chopped small
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. red onion, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped small (this can be optional - I've made it without the avocado and it still tastes great)
- In a serving bowl, stir olive oil, lime juice and cumin.
- Add rest of ingredients except the avocado, stirring gently to coat. If making in advance serving several hours away, I always add in the chopped avocado right before serving, just to make sure it stays nice and green.