This chipotle-mango BBQ chicken salad seems like a pretty perfect summer meal to me. We LOVED the chipotle-mango BBQ sauce - it's a little sweet, a little smoky, and so delicious. Half of it is used as the marinade for the chicken and the other half becomes the dressing for the salad.
When we had this for dinner, I realized about halfway through the meal that I had been almost completely silent because I was so focused on eating! Silence at the dinner table is usually a very, very good sign.
I served this with some homemade biscuits. The chicken was great but I think you could also substitute salmon or even shrimp. And the leftovers are excellent! I have a feeling this dish will show up at our table more than once over the next few months.
- 1 mango, chopped (use about 2/3 mango in the BBQ sauce, 1/3 of it directly in the salad)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (I scraped out the seeds for less heat)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- lettuce of choice (I used a combination of romaine and baby spinach)
- 2 ears sweet corn, shucked (if grilling corn, keep the corn on the cob but if baking, cut kernels off the cob; you could also use about a cup of frozen corn)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Additional toppings: chopped tomato, chopped red bell pepper, chopped red onion, sliced avocado