This is a recipe where the sum is definitely more than its parts. I had bookmarked this kale, parmesan & white bean patties recipe for a while but was a little unsure of the ingredients (especially kale, which I like in kale chips and kale & quinoa pilaf but often find it a little too...much). However, when I found myself with some leftover kale and parmesan, I figured it was the perfect time to try this out.
And, since this recipe made it onto this blog, you know that we really liked it! A surprising amount. All three of us, including the one-year-old (well, she likes everything). We have meatless patties often (although never as a substitute for a real burger) and this has become one of our favorites. I definitely recommend giving this a try, even if you're a little skeptical of the name! The kale cooks down nicely so I didn't even notice its normally more pungent flavor.
We served this with some sweet potatoes wedges and while I was going to have a salad on the side, I was too hurried to get dinner on the table and forgot. Fortunately, this meal has some built-in vegetables!
Kale, Parmesan & White Bean Patties
Taken from: The Catskill Kiwi
Makes 6-8 patties
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large leaves kale, stems removed, leaves chopped small
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 - 15 oz. can white beans (or 2 cups cooked), rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (optional; I omitted)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (or olive or canola oil), separated
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet (I used nonstick), heat 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion for about 3-5 minutes. Add kale, water and spices and cook until kale has wilted. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Using a food processor or hand blender, pulse half the beans with half of the kale mixture until a chunky puree forms. Stir in or pulse in the grated parmesan, red wine vinegar, sun-dried tomatoes and rest of beans and kale to the bean-kale mixture. Add in the eggs and breadcrumbs, stirring until mixed in completely. Form into 6-8 patties.
- Wipe out skillet and heat over medium heat. Add rest of coconut oil and then add patties in a skillet. Cook for approximately 5-8 minutes per side until both sides of the patties are browned and golden.