Saturday, January 18, 2014

Almond Biscotti



This biscotti recipe is actually one from the From Anne's Kitchen archives.  From three years ago, in my pre-photography days.   So I think it deserves an update (and at least a quick snapshot).

When we were visiting my husband's family over New Year's, they had a birthday party, and my sister-in-law brought biscotti.  Every time I have biscotti, I remember how much I love it (probably because it pairs so perfectly with coffee).  And even though I've made different kinds of biscotti (this gingerbread mocha kind was fun to have at Christmas!), my very favorite is this almond one.  To me, simple is the best. 

Another bonus of biscotti? It keeps FOREVER.  Since it's supposed to be hard and rather crunchy, you don't have to worry about it going stale, like other cookies.  I'd says these would last for at least 2 weeks in an air-tight container (although they usually get eaten much quicker than that around here!).

Of course, feel free to add in anything you'd like here -- chocolate (or dip it in melted chocolate), cranberries, other nuts, etc.  As for me, I stick to almond.  

Almond Biscotti
Taken from: AllRecipes
Makes approx. 36 cookies

  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3/4 cup white sugar (I cut this down to 2/3 cup and really enjoyed the slightly less sweet version!)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (didn't have on hand so I omitted)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups add-ins (pistachio nuts, sliced almonds, cranberries, walnuts, chocolate chips, etc, or any combination; I always just use sliced almonds)

  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. 
  2. In a large bowl, mix together oil and sugar until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, then beat in the eggs. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir into egg mixture. Mix in add-ins by hand. 
  3. Divide dough in half. Form two logs (12x2 inches) on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Dough may be sticky; wet hands with cool water to handle dough more easily. 
  4. Bake for 35-45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until logs are light brown (I like going for 40-45 minutes to make sure the biscotti comes out nice and crispy). 
  5. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 275 degrees F.
  6. Cut logs on diagonal into 3/4 inch thick slices. Lay on sides on parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake approximately 8-15 minutes or until dry. Cool on a wire baking rack. (I like mine very crunchy so I always go for a long time.  It will continue to harden and become dry as it cools, too.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment