Monday, December 9, 2013

Cranberry Nut Bread



This is about the time of year that I start hoarding cranberries.  They only seem to be in grocery stores for November and December and then they vanish until the next year.  This makes me slightly panicky so I start buying and freezing them to use throughout the year.

This cranberry nut bread is one of my favorite ways to use them.  It's my great aunt's recipe, which makes me love it all the more.  I make this every year in November or December (it often graces our table at Thanksgiving) and we enjoy it for breakfast, snacks or dessert. I think it goes especially well with a cup of coffee or tea!

I've made a few changes to the recipe.  I've substituted some white whole wheat flour and also added in flaxseed meal.  I've reduced the sugar and added a sprinkle of raw sugar on top of the bread.  Regardless of the slight changes, it's a recipe I love and definitely one that I want my family to continue to make.

Cranberry Nut Bread
Taken from: My Great Aunt Eleanor
Makes 1 loaf

  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 2 c. flour (I use 1 cup all-purpose and 1 cup white whole wheat)
  • 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal (optional)
  • juice and zest of 1 orange
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
  • 1 cup chopped cranberries
  • 1 Tbsp. raw sugar, for sprinkling (optional)



  1. Preheat oven to 325. Grease a bread pan with cooking spray. 
  2. Sift together salt, baking power, baking soda, sugar and flour.  Stir in flaxseed meal.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine orange juice and zest, butter and 1/2 cup boiling water.
  4. Combine wet and dry ingredients (sometimes I need to add a bit more boiling water to mix all together).
  5. Add chopped nuts and cranberries to the mixture.  Pour into greased bread pan and top with raw sugar, if desired.
  6. Bake for 45-60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

0 comments:

Post a Comment