Sunday, October 6, 2013

Lemon Crinkle Cookies



I've had this recipe on my "to blog" list for a while (I think since last year?).  And although lemon doesn't scream fall, when it's 90 degrees outside, it still feels like summer around here.  And personally, I think lemon is pretty perfect any time of year -- it's light and airy for the summer and warm and citrusy in the winter.

I decreased the sugar and opted not to use the powdered sugar and they were still plenty sweet! They might not look like much but we really enjoyed these (that's saying a lot because I think we're tending towards more and more chocolate desserts!).

I also froze about half of them and we just enjoyed a few from the oven last night.  I end up shaping the dough into balls, putting them on a cookie sheet and putting that in the freezer for about an hour.  After that, I pull them off the cookie sheet and put them all into ziploc bags.  That makes sure they don't stick together! For cooking, I increase the cooking time by about 2 minutes and also had to gently press down on them halfway through so they would flatten.  I love having cookie dough in the freezer for times like this!

Lemon Crinkle Cookies
Taken from: Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Makes about 2 dozen

  • 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar (I only used 3/4 cup and couldn't tell a difference)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, from about 1/2 lemon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar (optional; I omitted); although another great topping would be a sprinkle of raw sugar instead

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheets with silpat liners, parchment or lightly coat with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, egg, lemon zest and juice and mix well, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the dry ingredients (except the powdered sugar) and mix until just combined. If using, place the powdered sugar on a large plate or shallow pie dish. Roll tablespoon-size balls of dough in the powdered sugar to coat. Place on the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. (I actually had to slightly flatten mine with my hand.)
  3. Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes. The cookies will not be browned on the edges but they will have lost a bit of their shininess on top. Don't overbake! Cool the cookies on a cooling rack and store in an airtight container or eat immediately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment