Sunday, September 22, 2013

Dutch Babies


Hello, old friends.  After a one-year sabbatical to hone my cooking skills, I was back in the kitchen recently to make Anne's birthday breakfast.  I went deep into the family recipe vault to find a childhood favorite of mine: Dutch babies!  I had forgotten the name of this dish, but I knew my mom would remember.  I asked her about that "sorta lemony French toast she used to make when I was growing up," and she knew instantly what it was.  You may also recognize this as a "German pancake," "Bismarck," or "Dutch puff"--or, if you're one of the blog's many German readers--a "pfannkuchen" (if Wikipedia can be trusted).

This is a very simple meal (I made it), and quite delicious (we scarfed down the whole thing in one sitting).  While it bakes, you have time to fry up some bacon or sausage.  If you use Canadian bacon and/or Polish sausage, you truly have an international breakfast.  (Vegetarians can substitute French roast coffee.)

Dutch Babies
Taken from: Bryant's mom
Serves 2-3
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1-3 Tbsp butter (1 seems to work well but feel free to use more)
  • Lemon juice to taste
  • Powdered sugar to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 450.
  2. Beat eggs, salt, flour, and milk in stand mixer or other bowl.
  3. Grease an 8x8 (or 9x9) baking dish generously with the butter and then pour mixture into dish.
  4. Cook until babies puff, which is about 10 minutes
  5. Cut into squares and serve with lemon juice and powdered sugar.

0 comments:

Post a Comment