Monday, July 22, 2013

Pan-Seared Salmon Sandwich



Since we're still waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for our household goods to arrive, I'm still cooking with a limited amount of kitchen equipment. Thankfully, it's worked out just fine and we still are eating pretty well.  I figured sandwiches were a great way to go for dinner since they typically don't take any fancy equipment and seem like a great summertime dinner.  I went with this pan-seared salmon sandwich and topped it with a garlic yogurt sauce.  And we LOVED it!  

This was also a super simple dinner.  The salmon took 9 minutes to cook and while that was cooking, I made the yogurt sauce and sliced the pickles (and made the kale chips to go along with the meal).  At the last minute, I toasted the bread and then put everything together.  This was definitely a 30-minute meal.

I didn't go a totally homemade route but bought ciabatta bread from Trader Joe's (good bread is a must for a sandwich, in my opinion).  Finally, I served it with kale chips to round out the dinner.   We'll definitely be having this again (although next time, I might try roasting the garlic ahead of time for the sauce).


Pan-Seared Salmon Sandwich with Garlic Yogurt Sauce
I didn't use a recipe but I did use Heather Christo to make the pan-seared salmon
Serves 4

  • 3/4 - 1 pound salmon, preferably wild
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil (you could also use coconut oil if you don't mind a slight coconut flavor)
  • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I prefer 2%)
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced (2 only if you really like garlic)
  • 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2-4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
  • salt and pepper
  • Good bread (I went with ciabatta bread)
  • Toppings: pickles, lettuce, tomato, onions


  1. Pat salmon dry on both sides using paper towels.  Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper.
  2. Heat a non-stick skillet to medium high and then add the canola oil. Gently swirl to coat skillet with oil.
  3. Add salmon, skin side down, and cook for 3 minutes without moving.
  4. Flip salmon and cook for 4-6 minutes without moving, until fish flakes easily.  
  5. While the salmon is cooking, make the yogurt sauce by combining the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.  
  6. Heat broiler and lightly toast both halves of the bread (optional).
  7. Assemble sandwich with salmon, yogurt sauce, and any toppings of your choice. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment