It certainly has been a while. We've been a little busy...getting ready for a move, going on vacation, buying our first home...yikes! And I have a feeling it'll only stay busy until we're finally settled in.
But enough of that and onto food. I absolutely love meatless patties (these are some of our favorites!). Don't get me wrong, when I want a hamburger, it will definitely be beef (preferably topped with bacon and cheddar). But for a weeknight meal, meatless sliders fit the bill. They don't take much time to make, can be made ahead of time, are pretty healthy and have tons of flavor combinations that you can try. This one had a buffalo wing sauce flavor. The buffalo wing sauce added a nice kick of heat, which went well with the sweet corn.
We served ours on hamburger buns with a salad on the side (actually, one of these patties on top of a salad would also be excellent)!
Crispy Buffalo Corn & Quinoa Patties
Taken from: How Sweet It Is
Makes about 8 patties
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup sweet corn (cooked or raw)
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup finely grated romano cheese (I omitted)
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons flour (I had to add about 1 additional tablespoon to help the patties hold together)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons buffalo wing sauce + more for topping (you can use 1 tablespoon of melted butter plus 1 tablespoon of hot sauce to make buffalo wing sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Toppings: cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle, etc
- 8 smaller buns or dinner rolls, toasted (I used these hamburger buns)
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, corn, scallions, garlic and cilantro. Mix well to combine. Add in cheese, panko, flour, salt and pepper, tossing again to mix. Stir in eggs and buffalo wing sauce until the mixture is moistened, then using your hands, form patties by pressing the quinoa together (you can squeeze it together into your hands to form a patty, and then smooth out the sides). Set the patties on a plate. At this point, you can refrigerate the patties until ready to cook.
- Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add patties and cook until crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side.