Friday, March 22, 2013

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles



For normal people, it's way past pumpkin season.  It's time to move on to delicious things like strawberries and asparagus. And while I'm clearly enjoying the beginnings of spring (I just finished off some roasted asparagus as part of my lunch), I'm not giving up my precious jars of pumpkin puree. And don't get me started on the bags of cranberries that I bought in the winter and are now in my freezer.

So either bookmark this pumpkin waffle recipe to make 6 months from now or join me in continuing to enjoy pumpkin goods all year round.  And when those baked goods include whole wheat flour and not much oil or sugar, you can feel a whole lot better about having these for breakfast (and promptly dousing them with maple syrup).  They freeze beautifully so I often double the recipe and keep them in the freezer.  When I want a waffle for breakfast, it goes straight from the freezer to the toaster.  It makes for an easy (and tasty) morning!


Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles
Taken from: Tasty Kitchen
Makes 6 waffles
  • 1 cupMilk (I use leftover whey)
  • 1 whole Egg
  • ½ cup Pumpkin Puree
  • ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil (you could also use melted butter or coconut oil instead)
  • 2 Tablespoons Packed Brown Sugar
  • ¾ cups Whole Wheat Flour (I might increase this to 1 cup and decrease the all-purpose to 1/4 cup)
  • ½ cups All-purpose Flour (as mentioned above, I might decrease this to 1/4 cup to increase the whole wheat flour to 1 cup)
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Cinnamon
  • ⅛ teaspoons Nutmeg

  1. Preheat waffle iron.
  2. In a large bowl, combine milk, egg yolk, pumpkin, vanilla, oil and brown sugar together. Place egg white in a separate smaller bowl and beat with a hand mixer until firm peaks form. Set aside. Pour in remaining dry ingredients to the wet and slowly incorporate. Fold egg whites into waffle batter.
  3. Spray waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Pour about 1/2 cup of batter onto the waffle iron. Close the top slowly. Cook about 2 minutes or until waffles are crispy. (If you like them crispy, you can cook them a little longer.  I like mine slightly underdone so they get crispy in the toaster when I eat them at a later time. You can cook yours how you like them.)
  4. Serve immediately, preferable with maple syrup.
  5. Note: You can freeze any extra waffles in plastic food storage bags. On those busy mornings, pop them in the toaster!

0 comments:

Post a Comment