But I'm getting back in the kitchen more and more. And right now, I'm on a huge roasted, cubed sweet potato kick - I just can't get enough. So when I saw a salad that included roasted sweet potatoes, I was immediately on board. I also love that between the sweet potatoes, quinoa and apples, it made for a very hearty (and healthy) salad.
I served this with our crispy bourbon glazed salmon which I thought went really well together.
(As a completely random sidenote, I highly recommend topping your chili with these roasted sweet potatoes, too!)
Roasted Sweet Potato, Apple, and Quinoa Salad with Maple Cider VinaigretteTaken from: A Hint of Honey
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and cooked according to package directions (I cook mine in a rice cooker with 1 cup water)
- 6 oz. spring mix
- 1-2 fuji apples, diced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced (I omitted)
- handful sweetened dried cranberries (optional; I included and thought it was delicious!)
Maple Cider Vinaigrette:
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. real maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. To roast the sweet potatoes, preheat oven to 425 F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat with cooking spray. Toss the potatoes with a drizzle of olive oil to coat and a generous sprinkling of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast in preheated oven, turning occasionally, for 25-35 minutes, until golden and tender. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to package directions. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
3. To prepare the vinaigrette, in a small bowl whisk to combine the vinegar, maple syrup, and Dijon. Slowly pour in the olive oil while whisking constantly. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. To assemble the salad, combine spring mix, cooled potatoes and quinoa, apples, onion, and cranberries. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, toss, and serve.