Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pepper-Crusted Salmon with Wasabi Dipping Sauce



I don't really feel like I've missed out on too much while being pregnant.  Sure, I didn't get a hot dog this summer (although I won't say no to a hot dog next summer...) and now I drink decaf coffee but those things are all easy.  But even though we don't have it too often, I do love sushi.  That (and red wine) are probably the two things I'll be most excited to add back into my life. 
But until then, this pepper-crusted salmon with wasabi dipping sauce will have to hold me over.  I loved the dipping sauce - my husband said, "Wow, you're really going to town on that sauce, aren't you?"  I think a big reason why I liked it so much is that it mimics the flavors of wasabi and ginger that is served on top of sushi.

I served this salmon with cooked rice, sliced avocado over a bed of lettuce which I highly recommend! The cooked rice helps to soak up the sauce and avocado goes very well with this recipe. 

This is an easy, quick recipe to make.  I happened to have the ingredients on hand (I had some wasabi paste lingering in the fridge) and everything came together in about 20 minutes which was perfect for a very busy weeknight.

Pepper-Crusted Salmon with Wasabi Dipping Sauce
Taken from: Crumbly Cookie
Serves 4
I highly recommend serving this with rice, a green salad and sliced avocado!
  • 1 tablespoon wasabi powder or paste (if using powder, add 1 tablespoon water)
  • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • ½ cup soy sauce
  • 1 scallion, white and green parts, minced (I used minced red onion instead)
  • 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon cornstarch
  • 4 (8-ounce) salmon fillets
  • coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  1. Heat the oven to 300 degrees. If using wasbi powder, mix powder and water in a small bowl until smooth and set aside for 10 minutes (to enhance the wasabi flavors).  Add the grated ginger, lemon juice, soy sauce and scallion to the wasabi.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the Old Bay, salt, sugar, and cornstarch. Rub into the flesh (not the skin) of the salmon. Season with a generous layer of coarsely ground black pepper, pressing the pepper into the salmon.
  3. 3. Heat the oil in a nonstick 12-inch oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer the salmon to the pan, flesh-side down. Cook without moving for 1 minute, then flip and cook for another minute. Transfer the skillet to the oven; cook 8-10 minutes, or until the thickest part of the salmon reaches an internal temperature of 125 degrees. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for new ways to cook salmon...this looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete