Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Blackberry Cobbler

I just can't get enough of summer fruit - watermelon, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, cantelope, you name it.  But I almost always forget about blackberries.  However, I found out recently that my husband really likes blackberries.  To make up for the lack of blackberries in our home for the last 3 years, I wanted to make a dessert that featured blackberries.  And after doing a quick google search, blackberry cobbler seemed like the way to go.
Thanks to this blackberry cobbler recipe, never again will I forget about blackberries. The cobbler biscuit topping is so light and delicious and of course, the blackberries are the star of the show.  This dessert also reheats really well.  I just covered the skillet with aluminum foil, popped it in the oven (I think I set the oven to 350), and reheated for about 10 minutes.  We even served the reheated leftovers to some guests for dessert and I couldn't tell at all.  This cobbler is absolutely delicious on its own (I prefer it with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee) but was pretty incredible with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, too.
We enjoyed it so much that I completely forgot to take a picture.  So to remedy that, I just had to make this cobbler again a few weeks later.  So, so good.  I definitely didn't mind having this dessert a second time around. 
Blackberry Cobbler
Taken from: AllRecipes
Serves 6-8
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar, divided (you can use up to 1 1/4 cups if you like things sweeter)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I omitted but will add next time!)
  • 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 cup boiling water
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I often throw in the lemon zest, too)
  • 4 cups fresh blackberries, rinsed and drained
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, if using. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs using a pastry cutter or two knives. Stir in 1/4 cup boiling water just until mixture is evenly moist.
  3. In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in cold water. Mix in remaining 1/2 cup sugar (use more if you like your desserts sweeter), lemon juice (and zest, if using), and blackberries. Transfer to a cast iron skillet, and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Drop dough into the skillet by spoonfuls. Place skillet on the foil lined baking sheet.
  4. Bake 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven, until dough is golden brown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment