Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Home Fries




















While these home fries don't look like much (can I tell you how hard it is to photograph brown?), they taste pretty incredible. 
I've made this recipe 3-4 times with great results each time.  The last time, I didn't have Yukon Golds (or any other kind of potatoes like that) so I used russets, the only thing I had on hand.  While the home fries still tasted great and crisped up in the pan, they did seem too starchy and the fries did stick together.  So I'd highly recommend using Yukon Golds, red potatoes, etc but russets can be used in a pinch!

This isn't a hard recipe to make but does take some time (20-30 minutes) to let the home fries get nice and crispy. A nonstick skillet also helps a lot (and makes for much easier cleanup) so I'd recommend using a nonstick pan if you have one!

Most recently, I served this as a breakfast for dinner meal with scrambled eggs and a large salad on the side.  I loved this uncomplicated dinner - delicious and filling! (Although I still had to sneak a few additional bites of home fries while we were sitting around the dinner table even after I finished my dinner.) 

Home Fries
Taken from: Smitten Kitchen
Serves 4-6
  • 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch cubes (I used russets once in a pinch but I highly recommend using yukon gold or red potatoes as they are less starchy)
  • 3-4 tablespoons salted butter
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Seasoning, optional (I have always omitted).  Some suggestions: garlic powder or salt, smoky Spanish paprika, chopped chives
  1. Arrange potatoes in large microwave-safe bowl, top with 1 tablespoon butter, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high until edges of potatoes begin to soften, 5 to 7 minutes, shaking bowl (without removing plastic) to redistribute potatoes halfway through cooking.
  2. Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in large regular or nonstick (nonstick recommended) skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer to small bowl.
  3. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons (I typically only use 1 tablespoon and it seems to work fine) butter in now-empty skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and pack down with spatula. Cook, without moving, until underside of potatoes is brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn potatoes, pack down again, and continue to cook until well browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring potatoes every few minutes, until crusty and golden on all sides, 9 to 12 minutes. Stir in onion, seasonings of your choice and salt and pepper to taste.

0 comments:

Post a Comment