Monday, March 19, 2012

Double Coconut Muffins



















These muffins are a great snack (or breakfast).  They aren't super light or sweet but are filled with whole wheat flour, coconut oil and Greek yogurt, so they really make for a much more satisfying and healthy muffin.  The sweetness does come through, although I was surprised that the flavor wasn't as coconut-y as I expected.

My father-in-law was the first to tell me about coconut oil a few years ago, and it seems like it has become quite popular!  Thanks to his advice, I've used it successfully in stir-fry dishes, but this was my first time baking with it.

These muffins are best straight from the oven, but I also really enjoyed them at room temperature alongside a cup of coffee (my husband liked them best warm; however, I think re-warming them in the oven or microwave would be just fine). I enjoyed one of these as a snack for a week straight!

Double Coconut Muffins
Taken from: Smitten Kitchen
Makes 10-12 muffins (I squeaked out 11)
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 1 1/4 cups flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour(
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon table salt
  • 1 cup full fat Greek-style yogurt, at room temperature is best (I used 2%)
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature is best
  • 1 teaspoonvanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Either grease 10 muffin cups with butter or coconut oil, or line them with papers.
  2. In a small saucepan, warm your coconut oil just until it melts. It should still be on the cool side.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together your flours, baking powder and salt. Stir 1/2 cup shredded coconut.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, coconut oil, yogurt and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients until just combined. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups then sprinkle the top with remaining 1/4 cup coconut, about 1 to 2 teaspoons on each.
  5. Bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out batter-free, about 20 minutes. Transfer muffins to a rack and let cool.  Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

0 comments:

Post a Comment