These muffins are a great snack (or breakfast). They aren't super light or sweet but are filled with whole wheat flour, coconut oil and Greek yogurt, so they really make for a much more satisfying and healthy muffin. The sweetness does come through, although I was surprised that the flavor wasn't as coconut-y as I expected.
My father-in-law was the first to tell me about coconut oil a few years ago, and it seems like it has become quite popular! Thanks to his advice, I've used it successfully in stir-fry dishes, but this was my first time baking with it.
These muffins are best straight from the oven, but I also really enjoyed them at room temperature alongside a cup of coffee (my husband liked them best warm; however, I think re-warming them in the oven or microwave would be just fine). I enjoyed one of these as a snack for a week straight!
Taken from: Smitten Kitchen
Makes 10-12 muffins (I squeaked out 11)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cups flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour(
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup full fat Greek-style yogurt, at room temperature is best (I used 2%)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature is best
- 1 teaspoonvanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Either grease 10 muffin cups with butter or coconut oil, or line them with papers.
- In a small saucepan, warm your coconut oil just until it melts. It should still be on the cool side.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together your flours, baking powder and salt. Stir 1/2 cup shredded coconut.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, coconut oil, yogurt and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients until just combined. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups then sprinkle the top with remaining 1/4 cup coconut, about 1 to 2 teaspoons on each.
- Bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out batter-free, about 20 minutes. Transfer muffins to a rack and let cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.