Monday, February 6, 2012

Wheatberry Salad


















Have you tried wheatberries? I had picked them up from a bulk foods store a few months ago but for some reason, I didn't put them on the menu. Finally, I took the plunge and made this dish from Ellie Krieger.  And now I wonder what took me so long.  I really liked the taste and texture of wheatberries. Even the next day, they retain their firm texture and still have a lot of chew to them (the leftovers of the salad at just as good the next day!). 

This would be easy to cook the wheatberries ahead of time and after that, it's a cinch.  Chop up some celery, parsley and a scallion, throw in some walnuts and dried cherries (I'm sure dried cranberries would be an excellent substitute) and you have a seriously tasty and filling salad.  The cherries add sweetness which is balanced by the lemon.  And the walnuts add a lot of flavor as well.

For the life of me, I can't remember what I served with this salad, but I imagine it would have been something like this Island Spice Pork Tenderloin and steamed green beans.

Wheatberry Salad
Taken from: Food Network
Serves 4-6
  • 1 1/2 cups hard wheat berries
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup tart dried cherries, chopped
  • 1 scallion, white and green parts, chopped
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  1. In a large pot combine the wheat berries and enough water to come 2 inches over the wheat berries. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 1 hour, or until tender (add extra water if too much cooks off). Drain and let cool. Toast the walnuts in a medium dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, walnuts, celery, dried cherries, scallions, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

0 comments:

Post a Comment