Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Gorgonzola Smashed Potatoes


















This was a last minute addition to our dinner last night.  I didn't have quite as many red potatoes as I thought so I nixed my original potato recipe and found these gorgonzola smashed potatoes instead.  It's also a very forgiving recipe -- don't have buttermilk? You can combine 1/3 cup of milk and 1 teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice.  Don't have milk because, ahem, you haven't gone to the store yet? I used 2% Greek yogurt. Don't have any idea how much 4 ounces of gorgonzola really is? (Answer: 1/4 cup.) Just crumble it in and taste. Love garlic? Add in a large pinch of garlic powder.

Even with all my changes and estimations, this ended up being a wonderful side dish.  It was incredibly creamy and the gorgonzola added wonderful flavor without being overpowering.  In fact, my husband took one bite and said, "This should be on the blog." And I wholeheartedly agreed. 

We had this with maple chili salmon and a zucchini almond dish. I also loved that after I made these smashed potatoes, I let the pot sit on low heat for a few minutes until the rest of dinner was done -- I love having a side dish that doesn't have to be served that instant.


Gorgonzola Smashed Potatoes
Taken from: The Sweets Life
Serves 4
  • 1 1/2 lbs small red potatoes, cut in quarters
  • 3 tbsp butter or margarine, softened
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk (I used 2% Greek yogurt and a spritz of lemon juice instead)
  • 4 oz gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
  • salt and pepper
  • garlic powder, optional (I used probably about 1/4 teaspoon)
  1. Combine potatoes with another water to cover them in a 3-quart saucepan. Add a pinch of salt and cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain.
  2. Shake potatoes in the saucepan over low heat until dry. Add the butter, buttermilk, gorgonzola, and 1/2 tsp salt and pepper. Mash lightly, leaving some large pieces intact.  Leave on low heat and stir occasionally until time to serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment