Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Braised Chicken and Mushrooms with Polenta

















This was a surprisingly satisfying dinner, even for a non-mushroom lover like myself.  I actually want to like mushrooms; I've been adding them to more dishes lately and they are growing on me.  However, when I saw this dish that was touted by another non-mushroom lover, I knew I wanted to try it.  Oh, and it didn't hurt that it can be served with polenta, a favorite side dish of mine, and I had leftover white wine to use up. 

Even after knowing that other non-mushrooms lovers enjoyed this dish, I was still surprised at how much I liked it.  The ingredients are simple, the chopping is limited and it comes together in a little over 30 minutes.  Also, it just felt like a great fall or winter dish since it seems so warm and earthy. We enjoyed it both for dinner as well as for lunch the next day.  I served it with this recipe for polenta as well as a beet, walnut, and feta salad with a balsamic vinaigrette.  A delicious fall dinner!

Braised Chicken & Mushrooms
Taken from: Handle the Heat
Serves 4
Highly recommended to serve this with polenta!
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (using chicken cutlets or tenderloin will help return the chicken's cook time in the last step)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound white mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced 1/2-inch-thick
  • 4 garlic cloves, halved
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
  • 1/2 - 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish (I didn't have it on hand so I left this out)
  1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high. Add chicken, and cook until light golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
  2. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet. Add mushrooms and garlic, and season with salt. Cover; and cook until mushrooms release their juices, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove lid. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden, 4 to 5 minutes.
  3. Add wine, and cook, stirring, until evaporated, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup broth and parsley, cook until mushrooms are tender and liquid is reduced, 5 to 10 minutes, adding additional broth as necessary.
  4. Return chicken to skillet. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes. Serve chicken topped with mushrooms, and drizzled with cooking liquid. Garnish with chopped parsley.

0 comments:

Post a Comment