|The lighting in the photo was a little off which made the chicken look pink!|
This chicken rollatini recipe is a cross between chicken parmesan and stuffed shells and it tastes just as good as it sounds. Even for a hot summer night, it was still delicious with the creamy inside and panko/parmesan-crusted outside. All topped with the Italian essentials, marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese.
This recipe is so good and tastes so comforting and homey; however, it still is good for you with chopped spinach, low-fat cottage cheese and boneless skinless chicken breast (altogether, the recipe is about 200 calories per serving). I was very satisfied with one chicken cutlet and Bryant with two. It would be easy to double this recipe to serve a larger crowd or halve it like I did (although the leftovers were really good).
I served this with a balsamic salad, some baguette slices topped with roasted garlic and a glass of red wine. A delicious meal for any season!
PS - Check out the new recipe index at the top of the page to help find all the recipes on From Anne's Kitchen!
Taken from: Skinny Taste
- 8 thin chicken cutlets, 3 oz each
- 1/3-1/2 cup whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg, beaten, divided
- 9 oz fresh spinach, chopped and sauteed (or 5 oz frozen spinach, squeezed dry of any liquid)
- 6 tbsp part skim ricotta cheese (I used 2% cottage cheese instead which is high in protein)
- 6 oz part skim mozzarella
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry cutlets, season with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly spray a 8x8 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine breadcrumbs and 2 tbsp grated cheese in one bowl and beaten egg (save 1 Tbsp of beaten egg for next step) in another.
- Shred or finely chop 1.5 oz of mozzarella cheese and 1 Tbsp parmesan cheese, spinach (make sure you squeeze it dry), 1 tbsp of beaten egg, and ricotta/cottage cheese
- Lay chicken cutlets down on a working surface and spread 2 tbsp of spinach-cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one and keep seam side down.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down in a baking dish (no toothpicks needed). Repeat with the remaining chicken, placing each chicken roll next to one another. When finished, lightly spray tops of chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven, top with sauce then cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 more minutes. Serve with additional sauce on the side.