Saturday, July 30, 2011

Southern Skillet Corn

















My dad has always loved corn.  He knows how to pick the right cobs and it was a regular side dish at our dinner table in the summer, perfectly cooked and served with butter and salt.  Seriously delicious.  This skillet corn, while prepared in a different way, rivals that delicious corn from my childhood.

I did the prep work ahead of time and the corn needs 45 minutes to cook. However, it's a lot of hands-off time so while the corn cooked, it gave me enough time to make the parchment baked salmon (recipe coming), set the table and have the whole kitchen cleaned before dinner. (And trust me, that never happens. Just ask my husband.)

The corn was creamy (without any cream - my husband had to ask me again what was in it to make it so creamy), buttery (without much butter) and just bright and delicious.  It also makes quite a bit, too.  I only had 4 cobs but we still had leftovers. Tastes just like summer.

Southern Skillet Corn
Taken from: Kevin and Amanda (she also has step-by-step photos on this site)
Serves 6 (but this could easily be halved)
  • 6 ears corn
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  1. Shuck corn and pull off silks, then rinse under cool running water. In a large bowl, hold the cob upright.  In a downward motion, cut the corn from the cob with a sharp knife. Scrape the cob with a spoon to get the leftover milk. 
  2. Combine flour, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl, then add the 1 1/2 cups of water. Stir with a fork or whisk to combine. 
  3. Melt butter over medium-low heat in a large, heavy bottomed skillet. Add corn and flour mixture and cook over medium-low heat for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally (I added a little extra water at the end).

0 comments:

Post a Comment