Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Crab Cakes

Wow, I've been gone quite some time.  We were visiting family all of last week which was a wonderful time, as always.  And, true to form, I forced my way into two kitchens because a vacation for me just wouldn't seem complete without some time spent in there.

However, it was good to come home...especially to come home to California produce.  Incredibly sweet strawberries, cherries, tomatoes...I couldn't really stop myself when I got back to those roadside stands.  I have big plans for them this week (although the strawberries were already made into a sauce for our pancakes last night...delicious!) but for now, I'll share a favorite of ours from before our vacation... 

...Crab cakes.  Light, airy, and so good.  We loved this recipe although the crab cakes did fall apart on us a bit (I think I would try adding a few more breadcrumbs next time to help hold everything together).    I also used a bit of the leftover crab mixture to stuff mushrooms which worked incredibly well (and is highly recommended by my husband).   

While these crab cakes would do very well as an appetizer, we made this into a full meal, serving it with a simple salad on the side and garlic toast.  An easy summer meal...just how we like it!



Crab Cakes
Taken from: America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook
Serves 4
  • 2 to 4 tablespoons dry bread crumbs (plus more if needed)
  • ¼ cup mayonnaise (I used plain Greek yogurt instead because mayo is not allowed in my kitchen)
  • 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
  • 4 scallions, sliced thin
  • 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 pound fresh jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over to remove cartilage or shell
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning 
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest 
  • Salt and ground white pepper 
  • ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 tsp. canola oil 
  • Lemon wedges for serving
  1. Whisk mayo or yogurt, egg white, scallions, mustard, parsley, Old Bay, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a bowl.  Gently fold in crabmeat and breadcrumbs, being careful not to break up lumps of crab.  Add more breadcrumbs if necessary.
  2. Divide the crab mixture into four portions and shape each into a fat, round cake, about 1 inch thick. Arrange the cakes on a baking sheet; cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes. (The crab cakes can be refrigerated up to 24 hours.)  
  3. Put the flour on a shallow bowl, plate or pie tin. Lightly dredge the crab cakes in the flour. Heat the oil in a large, preferably nonstick, skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Gently place chilled crab cakes in the skillet; pan-fry until the outsides are crisp and browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. 
  4. Gently transfer crab cakes to paper towel-lined plate and let drain briefly.  Serve immediately with lemon wedges or dipping sauce.

0 comments:

Post a Comment