Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Thai Chicken & Noodles Salad

I often don't like salads for my main course. I know, I know, you can have your protein, carbs and, of course, vegetables in it but somehow, I don't seem to feel as full after a salad (purely psychological is my guess).  So a salad has to look pretty darn enticing for me to bookmark it and place it on our menu plan.  Of course, it doesn't hurt that we've been swimming in lettuce from our CSA box so I'm always looking for ways to use it (not that I'm complaining!). 
This Thai chicken and noodles salad is simple and delicious.  The marinade really is the star of the show.  I marinated the chicken for about 9 hours and it was incredibly flavorful.  We drizzled the extra marinade all over the salad which is a must. 
There's definitely room for imagination (or using up vegetables in your fridge).  Shaved carrots and thinly sliced cucumbers were great in the salad but next time, I'd probably include red peppers as well.  I brought the leftovers to work the next day and my coworker gave me some of her pineapple which I promptly added to my dish. The sweet and tropical flavors from the pineapple worked incredibly well with the dish!
Thai Chicken & Noodles Salad
Taken from: The Parsley Thief
  • 1 1/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast {cut into thin slices}
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced {white & light green parts}
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste (I omitted)
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
  • 3 1/2 ounces Chinese rice noodles
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 carrots, peeled & sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
  • 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise & thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • optional toppings: chopped peanuts, sliced scallions, sliced limes, bean sprouts, red pepper flakes, red bell pepper, pineapple, lettuce leaves
  1. Begin by making the marinade for the chicken: Add the scallions, garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, light brown sugar, lime juice, anchovy paste and red pepper flakes to resealable plastic bag. Shake to combine.  Remove half of the marinade (which will be used as a sauce on top of the finished salad).  Place the chicken in the bag with the remaining marinade.  Coat all the chicken, seal & chill for at least 30 minutes (I placed mine the morning of dinner). 
  2. Cook the noodles, according to the package instructions, drain and transfer to a platter.
  3. Add the oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.  Cook the chicken, in batches, for about 1-2 minutes per side, or until cooked through & golden brown. 
  4. Transfer the chicken to the platter with the noodles and top with the carrots, cucumber, basil and any additional toppings.  Serve with the remaining marinade on the side.

1 comment:

  1. This is the absolute perfect salad! Love the marinade for the chicken

    ReplyDelete