It was also an excuse to use up more of the greens that we received from our CSA box! I have to admit, I couldn't bear the thought of having kale/collards/spinach every week all.winter.long. So I chickened out and didn't start our weekly CSA box until beginning of March. But we are loving it so far!
Turkey Cannelloni with Roasted Peppers & Spinach
Taken from: Cookin' Canuck
- 8-12 "No-boil" lasagna noodles (I used whole wheat)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2-1 lb. ground turkey, (I used about 2/3 lb of 93% lean turkey)
- 1 cup (packed) baby spinach leaves (I used collard greens - since they are a little more coarse, I cooked them in a pot of salted boiling water for 2 minutes, then drained in a colander and chopped into smallish pieces)
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, thinly sliced*
- 1 cup. low-fat ricotta cheese (I used nonfat cottage cheese)
- 1/2-1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used a mix of Parmesan and mozzarella)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil (I omitted)
- 2 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil and add no-boil lasagne noodles. Stir gently while cooking so that the noodle do not stick to each other. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Gently remove with a slotted spoon or tongs, and place the noodles directly into a bowl of cold water.
- Gently lay the noodles on a clean kitchen towel and dab off moisture with paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and saute until they are just turning brown, about 2 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute for additional 30 seconds. Add ground turkey, season with salt and pepper and cook, breaking up with wooden spoon, until turkey is cooked through. Put a lid on top (slightly askew) and pour any accumulated juice out of the pan. Transfer turkey mixture to a large bowl.
- Stir in baby spinach leaves (or any greens you are using) and roasted red peppers. Mix well.
- Allow the mixture to cool, then stir in ricotta and 1/2 cup of cheese, dried chile flakes, nutmeg, basil and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- At one short end of each lasagne noodle, place 1/3 cup turkey mixture. Roll up noodles to form tubes.
- Prepare a 9- by 13-inch baking pan by spreading 3/4 cup tomato sauce on the bottom. Arrange pasta tubes, seam-sides down, in the pan. Spread additional 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce on top, and sprinkle with additional grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving