Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thai Pork Curry


While searching for a last-minute dinner for tonight, I had a few requirements: fast, on-hand ingredients, and an extra bit of spice to combat the last of my cold.  I found an easy Thai shrimp curry dish that looked like it would hit the spot.  I've loved the different kinds of curry that I've had in Thai restaurants before so I didn't mind trying to recreate it at home.

This morning, I double-checked for shrimp in the freezer...only to find no shrimp.  Since my brain had a slight relapse of what ingredients I actually had on hand, I grabbed plan B: pork tenderloin (I had bought 6 pounds of pork tenderloin when it was on a great sale, removed the fat and froze it in 3/4 lb. portions).  Now it would be Thai pork curry.   I threw a pork tenderloin in the fridge to defrost and headed off to work.

It ended up being an amazing plan B. However, I think any meat (or tofu) would be delicious - shrimp, pork, beef, chicken...whatever you happen to have! This curry dish had that slight kick that I wanted and took less than 30 minutes from start to finish.  Serving this dish with rice is a must to help soak up the juices.


Thai Pork Curry
Taken from: Food.com
Serves:4

  • 1 teaspoon canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons red curry paste
  • 1/2 - 3/4 lb pork tenderloin, sliced thin (if you partially freeze the pork, it makes slicing the pork much easier)
  • 1 can light coconut milk
  • 1 lime,  zested and juiced
  • 1-2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
  • 3- 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, minced (you can keep seeds and ribs in for more heat or leave out the jalapeno completely for a milder dish)  
  • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1/2  red onion, thinly sliced
  • 6-8 mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • Any additional veggies (optional; I added red cabbage)
  • 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped (optional, I omitted) 
  • 1/4  cup cilantro, chopped

  1. Heat wok to medium high.  Add oil and then add curry paste, stirring for about 30 seconds. 
  2. Add pork, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.  Add vegetables and cook for an additional 2 minutes. 
  3. Stir in coconut milk, lime zest, ginger, garlic and jalapeno. Bring to boil, and cook 2-3 more minutes. 
  4. Serve over cooked rice and top with lime juice, cilantro and basil.

0 comments:

Post a Comment