Sunday, January 9, 2011

Breakfast Quinoa & Week's Menu Plan

Breakfast is by far my favorite meal.  Since I've been cooking much more these last couple years, dinner is rapidly closing in but somehow, I don't think it can surpass breakfast in my book.  I love the elaborate breakfasts - any thing with eggs or some kind of sweet carb - and I even love the simple ones (when Bryant goes out of town, I happily eat cereal for dinner).  With our wonderful Christmas and New Years celebrations, I've had my fair share of those big breakfasts. However, I wanted something special for our lazy Saturday...just without the extra fat and sugar.  Bless you, breakfast quinoa, for gracing our presence.

Quinoa is incredibly good for you and I love it's nutty flavor.  I've only made it in savory dishes but was really happy to find a sweeter version.  Adding a couple tablespoons of brown sugar, maple syrup or honey gives it a subtly sweet flavor. We topped ours with toasted pecans, sliced almonds, dried cranberries and frozen cherries.  A nice and healthy way to start a weekend!

Breakfast Quinoa
Serves 3-4 (makes 2 cups)
  • 2 cups milk or 1 cup milk and 1 cup water (I chose the water/milk option)
  • pinch of salt 
  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • 3 tablespoons of light-brown sugar, honey or maple syrup (or a combination)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup toasted pecans or almonds
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup fresh, dried or frozen fruit (any kind of berries, cherries, cranberries, apples, etc would work really well)
-Bring milk and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add small pinch of salt and quinoa, and return to a boil (watch carefully as my pot boiled over when I stopped looking). 
-Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
-While quinoa is cooking, heat medium saute pan to medium.  Add nuts to the dry pan and toast, shaking occasionally, for 3 minutes. 
-Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 3-8 minutes. Top with nuts and fruit of your choice.  Serve with additional milk and sweeteners if you choose.


Week's Menu Plan

Sunday: Butter Chicken and rice with carrots, celery and peas

Monday: loaded baked potato (chili, broccoli, cheddar cheese, green onions, bacon)

Wednesday:  Pecan-crusted cod with couscous and roasted brussels sprouts
 
Saturday: chicken parmesan burgers
Sunday: Maely's chicken with sweet potato casserole and salad

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog--the apple cake is SO good! I hope you enjoy :)

    I love this idea of quinoa for breakfast. I just made quinoa for dinner last night; I've love to try it in a breakfast dish!

    ReplyDelete