Friday, December 19, 2014

Cauliflower Tots


Have you seen cauliflower being used in all kinds of ways? Cauliflower mashed "potatoes," cauliflower "rice," it seems that this vegetable can take quite a few forms.  I was intrigued when I found a recipe for cauliflower tater tots and had to try it.  However,  the first time I tried making them (with a different recipe), I finely chopped the cooked cauliflower with a knife as per the directions.  While I liked the taste, they did not hold together at all - they just fell apart.  However, when I tried this recipe and used a food processor to chop the cooked cauliflower instead, they stayed together much better! So I highly recommend using a food processor although you can use a knife if you prefer.

I really like the flavor and I think they make a great side dish (the added benefit of getting a small serving of vegetables is great, too!). I believe we served these with the easy banh mi sandwiches and a salad. Our toddler (and I) think these are particularly great with ketchup although my husband preferred his plain.


Cauliflower Tots
Taken from: Brunch Time Baker
Makes about 30
  • 2 cups cauliflower florets
  • 1 large egg
  • ½ cup onion, minced
  • ¼ cup bell pepper, minced (optional)
  • ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (I omitted, although I added an extra tablespoon of bread crumbs)
  • ¼ cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 Tbsp. minced cilantro or parsley (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • cooking spray or oil

  1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray or lightly grease with oil. Set aside.
  2. Steam cauliflower in hot water for 3-5 minutes or until nice and soft, and drain. Add cauliflower in the food processor for a few seconds until finely chopped (I highly recommend the food processor but you can finely chop with a knife, too).
  3. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of mixture in your hands and roll into small oval shaped tots. Spray tops with cooking spray.
  5. Place on the cookie sheet ½ inch apart and bake for about 20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking until golden.


0 comments:

Post a Comment