Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Baked Oatmeal with Fruit




















I figure if a recipe is good enough that I've made it three times in the last few months (which is a lot for me), it needs to be on this blog!  Selfishly, another reason I wanted to blog about this baked oatmeal is that I use my blog as an index of dishes I want to make again.  I really liked this -- it made such a great breakfast or snack -- but I kept forgetting the hyperlink to the recipe.  I knew I had to write about it for no other reason than I have no excuse for forgetting the recipe from now on!

I love this recipe and its versatility.  I usually make this recipe on the weekend and then we have it for breakfast or a mid-morning snack throughout the week.  It keeps very well in the fridge for several days and we just warm a piece in the microwave for a really quick and filling breakfast.  My favorite way to make this is probably with frozen mixed berries (Trader Joe's frozen very cherry blend bag is great) but it was also delicious with blueberries and peaches, too.  I imagine it would be great with apples or pears as well for a more fall/winter breakfast!

Baked Oatmeal with Fruit
Taken from: Super Natural Every Day via Tasty Type
Serves 6-8
  • 2 cups rolled oats 
  • 1/3 cup real maple syrup (sometimes I add about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 3-4 tablespoons of maple syrup instead)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 scant cups milk (any kind) 
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 10-ounce packages of frozen fruit (you could also use fresh fruit here as well) - in the past, I've used mixed berries, fresh peaches, blueberries, etc.
  • 1/2 cup sliced or chopped nuts (almonds or walnuts are my go-tos)
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Butter or oil and 8-inch baking dish. Spread the peaches evenly in the bottom of the pan and set aside.
  3. Combine: oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir together. Sprinkle over the peaches in the prepared pan. Set aside.
  4. In another bowl, combine: maple syrup, rice milk, egg, half of the melted butter and vanilla. Whisk together completely. Slowly pour this over the oats and peaches in the pan. Shake or jiggle the pan gently to release any air bubbles.
  5. Sprinkle the almonds on top.
  6. Place the pan on a cookie sheet in the preheated oven. Bake for approximately 45 minutes, until the center is cooked through and fluffy. Let cool a bit.  Can serve with extra maple syrup if desired (although I never think it needs it). Store leftovers covered in fridge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment